The Wealth-X and Sotheby’s International Realty UHNW Luxury Real Estate Report: Multi-Homers
An increasing number of ultra high net worth (UHNW) individuals are buying non-traditional homes outside their domiciles according to a new study by Wealth-X and the Sotheby’s International Realty® brand.
Wealth-X has identified more than 211,000 ultra high net worth individuals globally – defined as those with US$30 million and above in net assets – and 79% of them own two or more residences.
The Wealth-X and Sotheby’s International Realty UHNW Luxury Real Estate: Multi-Homers Report reveals that these UHNW buyers look for residences that are environmentally sustainable, technologically sophisticated, or that fit better with their personal and family needs.
Below are other key findings from the report:
- The average UHNW Multi-homer is 63 years old, has a net worth of US$165 million and is married.
- The United States is the most popular location for second homes among the ultra wealthy, followed by the United Kingdom and Switzerland.
- Four types of luxury home types have emerged as favorites among the global ultra wealthy: Green Homes, Smart Homes, Private Islands, and Serviced Apartments. These types of luxury residences serve their needs, aspirations, and lifestyle considerations.
- The Caribbean and the Mediterranean remain favorites among UHNW buyers for private island homes, but Southeast Asia, Canada, Belize and the United Kingdom are gaining popularity.
- UHNW Multi-home buyers are fueling market growth in regions beyond global urban hubs such as London, New York City and Hong Kong. The report profiles Miami, Florida; Geneva, Switzerland; and Long Island, New York.
Wealth-X President David Friedman commented: “Wealth-X is pleased to partner with the Sotheby’s International Realty brand for this fourth joint report in 2015. This report underscores Wealth-X’s commitment to conducting ground-breaking research on the world’s ultra high net worth (UHNW) population. Expert commentary from Sotheby’s International Realty complements Wealth-X’s global intelligence on the world’s UHNW population, producing a report that demonstrates a true collaboration between the world’s leading UHNW intelligence provider and the global leader in luxury residential real estate.”
“Our partnership with Wealth-X has proven to be invaluable as we continue to explore the motivations of the world’s ultra high net worth,” said Philip White, president and chief executive officer of Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates, LLC. “The research from our latest report uncovers current trends in home purchasing behavior and chief lifestyle considerations, helping us gain insight into investment strategies of the UHNW population.”
The Wealth-X and Sotheby’s International Realty reports look at trends in the UHNW population’s appetite for luxury residential real estate across the world, identifies specific attitudes, behaviors and locations that matter to this industry and this wealth segment.
You May Be Interested In Our Previous Reports
- Global Luxury Residential Real Estate Report
- Europe, Middle East and Africa Luxury Residential Real Estate Report
- UHNW Luxury Real Estate Report: Homes As Opportunity Gateways
Wealth-X is the global authority on wealth intelligence, providing sales, marketing, strategy and compliance solutions to clients in the financial services, luxury, not-for-profit and education sectors. Its award-winning research and thought leadership are regularly cited by the world’s media such as CNBC, Financial Times, Thomson Reuters and BBC. Wealth-X has more than 250 staff in 10 global centers, including Singapore, London and New York (www.wealthx.com)
About Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC
The Sotheby’s International Realty network currently has approximately 17,000 sales associates located in approximately 800 offices in 61 countries and territories worldwide. Founded in 1976 to provide independent brokerages with a powerful marketing and referral program for luxury listings, the Sotheby’s International Realty network was designed to connect the finest independent real estate companies to the most prestigious clientele in the world. Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC is a subsidiary of Realogy Holdings Corp. (NYSE: RLGY), a global leader in real estate franchising and provider of real estate brokerage, relocation and settlement services. In February 2004, Realogy entered into a long-term strategic alliance with Sotheby’s, the operator of the auction house. The agreement provided for the licensing of the Sotheby’s International Realty name and the development of a full franchise system. Affiliations in the system are granted only to brokerages and individuals meeting strict qualifications. Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC supports its affiliates with a host of operational, marketing, recruiting, educational and business development resources. Each office is independently owned and operated. Franchise affiliates also benefit from an association with the venerable Sotheby’s auction house, established in 1744. (www.sothebysrealty.com)